Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Running With The Reign 5k

October 27, 2012

Running friend, Sharon Butler, needed a way to fund-raise for her daughter's dance team, and, of course, being a runner, she couldn't help but think of a race.  She set the wheels in motion and with some stutter steps along the way, found herself on race morning with a successful event.

This past week, Sharon and I went for a little jaunt around Dyes Inlet during my daughter's college classes.  Wednesday, I decided to do the same loop again on my own just because I had the time as I waited again for my daughter.  I haven't had many long runs in the past couple of months so I took advantage of the situation. Dyes Inlet Long Run map is here.

For the third week in a row, I have added speed work into my training and completed 6 Yassos (800s at marathon goal pace, 3:20-3:30 per 800 for me).  My legs were dead Friday as I did a short 4 mile run and hoped I left something for the race on Saturday. I wouldn't be worried if it was a trail marathon or something but a 5k meant I needed to have speedy legs!

The morning was dreary, soggy and no end in sight to the rain. A text from my cell phone carrier woke me up at 6:30 am (how rude!) to update me on my account. Crawled out of bed 15 minutes before my alarm - can I cancel a carrier for waking me? I inhaled my coffee and convinced myself I was awake and it was ONLY 3 miles!  I could award myself later with a snuggly kitten nap if I really needed it. .

I layered up in a tank, long sleeve, shorts, warm-up pants, compression socks, gloves and cap.  I stayed toasty inside the junior high until five minutes before the race and then took off all the outer layers. The only other person dressed in so little was the male first place winner.

After a brief huddle under a tent, I lined up at the front and we took off out of the parking lot, splashing all the way. I quickly found myself in 4th place following two teenage boys and an adult guy, who informed me it was 3.4 miles so I should pace myself since I "obviously"intended to race hard (his words).  The course was along mildly rolling roads, ones that I have been running for years. We ran past my uncle and aunt's house, my brother-in-law's house, my in-law's road (why yes, we could possibly own this road!) all surrounded by farm-esque housing. I wonder if anyone noticed the alpacas?

I kept pace directly behind the adult guy with a 6:50 first mile and 7:14 second mile. Ideally (for me) a sub-7 pace is a pretty good day. Close to 6:30 pace average I'm feeling great. As we approached mile 2, orange shirt adult guy tells me to go for it as I creep past him.  Passing people in races is motivating but also leaves me with an impending sense of urgency to not let them pass me later in the race. I managed to squeak out another 7:14 mile and noted the first two runners ahead weren't gaining any distance on me so they had slowed their original pace. With less than half a mile to go, I gave it one last push and was able to increase my pace to 7:03 over the last .36 miles for the first overall woman's finish.  Not exactly lightning fast but fast enough.

This was a fun race put on in a short amount of time and hopefully it will be back bigger and better next year!  Maybe the "Reign"really will run with us then?


Boing! Boing! Boing! Trying to stay warm.

And we are off!




1 comment:

  1. Nice work Ginger! I hope you got that kitten snuggle nap later for reward :)

    ReplyDelete