Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My Running Family

April 17, 2013


The Boston Marathon bombings, words that should never appear in the same sentence, tug at my heart. I've run Boston three times, 2006-2008. While I have qualified to run it each year since then, finances have kept me from making the trip east for this hallowed race of marathoners.

You have certainly read multitudes of posts and news articles about the unfathomable tragedy so I will resist the temptation to insert quotes and pictures from Monday's insanity. Instead, I want to express my deep gratitude for this sport. My life is decidedly different from the sedentary lifestyle that awaited me had I not found running, or maybe it found me. Through the years, I've recognized the physical and emotional benefits achieved while chasing after goals in the sport of running. Many goals have been achieved while others remain elusive.

Monday, as news of the bombing unfolded, details still fuzzy, I only wanted to know that my friends were safe. Of course I wanted everyone to be safe, but you know how it is. You need to know that people you care about are out of harm's way. I followed Facebook all day, searching for news about my friends. I'm extremely thankful to know that everyone is safe from my world, although shaken. Some were very near the bombs.

This is the BIGGEST GIFT running has given me. A family. I'm anxious to hug my friends. As with any tragedy, we are shocked into remembering what is truly important in our lives.  Sharing the roads and trails with others for hours unites us in ways that non-runners don't understand.




2 comments:

  1. Tracy Marshall finished just ahead of the blast and was in the medical tent for a blister when they started wheeling injured in, and Lizzie Lee was so close to the finish but not able to complete. I have run a few miles with both of these fine people and it makes me so sad for them. But I also now realize how much I love them and care about my fellow runners. You too Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still cry at the horror of that day and knowing my friends were there at the finish and just not knowing if they were ok. Thanking God they are all safe and we can run together again.

    ReplyDelete