Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Why I run

I run because I can. I run because I'm good at it.  I run because I'm bad at it. I run because I want to. I run because I love it. I run because I find a part of me in the run that is hidden without it.

My orthopedic doctor who treated me after my stress fracture following a 3500 mile year encouraged me to cross-train and stay healthy so I could get back to what I loved. He's a runner, too.

My dermatologist asks me what races I've done and praises me for staying so active. 

My OB/GYN also asks me what my training and racing is like and always says she is amazed and proud of what I'm accomplishing in a day filled with women struggling to regulate their hormones, weight, and preventable diseases. She noted that my hormones have likely evened out after making running a consistent part of my routine after I had struggled with up and down emotions after my children were born.

My physician loves that I run. He has encouraged me to continue to be active and pursue my dreams.

My DENTIST asks my my races and believes that physical health correlates to dental health.

My daughters' orthodontist always asks me about races and brags to anyone in the office about my latest adventure.

My physical therapist who helped me recover from a perroneal tendon issue noted to the office and all patients in hearing distance that I was a marathoner and he was so impressed with my leg and core strength. He was anxious to help me get back to running. 

In my daughter's science class, the teacher asked me to participate in an experiment measuring lung capacity after all the kids had done so. She noted that I was an endurance athlete and that my lung capacity should be greater. Most kids could remove about half of the water out of a gallon of water through some tubing (one long breath). I removed it all and could continue if there had been more water.

I had to take a lie detector test for an interview in a high security clearance job. I was asked if I was on medication to keep my heart rate so low. I am not. 

I've had 2 injuries in my lifetime running history since 1991. Perhaps some are more prone to injury and I'm fortunate to be built for the sport.  I've never ignored doctors'advice. I know there are doctors who don't encourage running. They don't know me. ALL my doctors encourage me to run because they know me, my body, my results.  

Running has given me confidence not just in races but it has transcended into the rest of my life. It has changed my body. It has given me an incredible amount of forever friends. It has given me countless memories and adventures. I have traveled places you cannot get by vehicle and most people wouldn't be willing to walk so far. 

Running isn't for everyone.  Running IS for me.  Of course there are dangers and chances I take when I run. What kind of life would I have if I only did SAFE things? Why live a life limiting yourself and ignoring that little voice in your head whispering another adventure only to ignore it? I know someday I won't be able to run. Today is not that day.

Run free. Run without limits. Run Happy (and don't let ANYONE steal that happiness!)

Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment