Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I'm a Streaker!

NOT THIS KIND OF STREAKER!


 In 2008, the Boston Marathon motivated me to train hard.  I wanted a fast time and followed the 70 miles or more per week schedule found in  Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger.  I hit the miles 90% or more of the time.  I was running seven days a week, opting to do a small run on the one day allowed for rest.

Reviewing my running log (you do keep one, don't you?), I realized I had run every day of the year and it was mid-February.  The race was in mid-April and I challenged myself to run every day until the marathon.

Somehow I managed to meet this goal, even attaining one week with 101 miles.  I finished the Boston Marathon with a 3:17:11, my marathon PR.  

What began as a challenge has turned into something of an obsession.  In 2008, I did run every day.  I had to do a Google search on what quantified as streaking...did a mile count?  How fast did I have to run?  I decided that one mile did count as a run and as long as it wasn't walking, it would count. 

In 2009, I missed five days of running.  The first day I missed my run, I was so sick.  After missing one day, it was easy to not run every day.  Work, weather, etc. made viable excuses. 

In 2010, I started my quest once again and have managed to run everyday.  Even after my 50 miles in April when my calf was screaming at me from the cramp the day before.  I think that was my shortest and slowest "run", squeaking in one mile at about a 13 minute pace.  I did the push off and got both feet in the air a centimeter or so. 

Will the streak continue?  Will I run every day this year?  That's my plan.  I know there's a possibility it won't happen and that's okay.  I know the streak will have to end someday.

Proverbs 16:9 (New International Version)

In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment