Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Drive-by Coaching and Other Stupid Driver Moments

If you've been running on the roads for training, I would bet 3 packets of Gu that you have had drive-by coaching from complete strangers.  You're out for a run minding your own business when you hear, "Pick it up!" by an old man chomping on a burger as he cruises by in his pickup truck.  

Seriously, you know what I'm talking about!  If you don't, run more!

Without further adieu, I present:

Weird comments
Sounds (this may apply more to women)
Coaching "advice" 
Other drive-by incidents that freaked me out 



***************************************************
Comments:

"What you really need to do is run UP the hill, not down it."  Mile 8 of 22 and I will have LOTS of uphills on my run, but thanks anyway.

"Get those knees up!" Mile 24.  Shut up.

"Run faster!"

"Who's chasing you?"

"Keep going!"

"You're going to ruin your knees!"

"Get off the road!" Really? I have no sidewalk and enough room to run like I'm on a tightwire. Where shall I run?  Meanwhile, you have the lane and no one is coming toward you so you can move over.  It's not that complicated!

Incidents:

Revving of engine as creeper drives by.

Horn honking and woo-hooing.  I don't know about you, but when I'm running on the road and a horn honks from behind me, I'm thinking that I'm about to get hit by a car.

Man hanging out driver's window gawking at me while driving very slowly.  Seriously?  I need a gun.
Man gawking out car window
But he looked like this


Beer bottle thrown at us as car full of young idiots drove by.

Car veering directly toward us showing no signs of getting back in their lane.

Driver turning right out of driveway or street without looking right.  Hello!  I'm running here.  I'm running toward traffic like I'm supposed to.  I could have been a child walking.  Jeff did an over-the-hood somersault/cartwheel on one of our runs when the old woman nearly took him out.  

Car passing another car right next to me.  Hate this!!  They have an entire stretch of road to pass a car and they choose to pass right next to me.  What if I had taken one step to the right?  I'm already on a road without a sidewalk and trying to stay just to the left of the white line.  Stupid hybrids make it so I don't know what's happening until they are right next to me.  



These are just a few comments/incidents over many years of running.  

If you have received coaching advice on the run or other irritating driver moments, share it in the comments.  I'd love to hear I'm not alone in this.   










No comments:

Post a Comment