Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Valentine's Day reminds me that I love running. It's true.  I <3 running in a way people love watching a sunrise, hearing a baby laugh or eating the smoothest piece of chocolate they've ever had.  No, it doesn't always feel good or wonderful or endorphin-filled or give me an adrenaline rush every time my feet touch the ground.  Many times it mocks me, makes fun of me, hurts me.  And yet, I return to it time after time.

The run is often a time for me to clear my mind, go over my to-do list, plan my breakthrough novel and solve the world's problems.  Sometimes I forget that I'm running because my brain is so busy.  The non-runners don't get that and it's okay.  This is a gift for long-distance running.  Other times during a run, this euphoria, or "runner's high" happens and it cannot be planned.  Some say it's a physical response to the activity.  Personally I feel a strong connection to my Lord during those times.

Why do I love running?  It gives me time to be alone with my thoughts.  It challenges me.  It makes me stronger than I thought I was.  It's given me some amazing friends and memories.  It has transformed my body and spirit.

Why do you love running?


1 comment:

  1. I love running for many of the same reasons you do. Also, I like to listen to podcasts that I couldn't concentrate on at home, but i find myself distracted by running thoughts sometimes while I am listening. :) Running is one area of my life where I can really focus, or really un-focus, it seems.

    ReplyDelete