Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 7, 2011

18 week Marathon/Life Plan - Week One

He who every morning plans the transaction of the day and follows out that plan, carries a thread that will guide him through the maze of the most busy life. But where no plan is laid, where the disposal of time is surrendered merely to the chance of incidence, chaos will soon reign.
Victor Hugo (1802 - 1885)

I am building a fire, and everyday I train, I add more fuel. At just the right moment, I light the match.

Mia Hamm

The Goal:  Run Fast, Get Strong, Get Organized
The Plan:  Train Smart, Complete Insanity, Follow Flylady (sort of!)
 

Goal One:  Get Fast!
In an effort to keep myself accountable with a "real" training plan, I will be chronicalling my training leading up to the North Olympic Discovery Marathon set for June 5th.  What happens on that day will be the result of my planning or lack thereof.   After watching my race times slow last year, I determined to set a goal other than just finishing races this year.

For those "just" finishing races, my imaginary hat goes off to you!  I'm only saying "just" to compare it to finishing in a certain time range.  Finishing races without goal times is a huge accomplishment and please know how much I appreciate all the training and effort that goes into finishing races.

Many friends have been curious as to how I train (or not train) so this will be a glimpse into my daily training goals and what actually happens.

Goal Two:  Get Strong!
I have completed Month One of Insanity while still running daily.  The last week of Insanity was also the first week of my official Marathon plan.  I have noticed gains in strength since I've started!

Get Organized:
Reality check!  My home suffers from my training schedule.  It's not that I don't have time; it's more that I put things off around the house because I'm either tired, busy with family stuff, or just am being rebellious and "don't wan't to."  I do love a clean house.  And sometimes I enjoy cleaning house.  Most of the time, however, I get a little snarky (I've been watching Doctor Who) about having to clean AGAIN!  It's an endless, mostly thankless job. 

Flylady http://flylady.net/ has helped me in the past and I'm relying on her FREE motivation to get my act together at home.  She has different "tricks" to help you get some cleaning accomplished without feeling too overwhelmed.  The house is divided into "zones" and this week it's the kitchen.  Every day you check the list and do the assigned "chores" in those room.  In addition, you can add 15 minute "declutter" sessions. 

My goals breakdown for the week:
Get fast, Week Two:
Total Miles: 68
Yassos:  8 x 800
Strides: 10 x 100 in an 8 mile run
Long run: Fishline 50k (long run only needs to be 18 miles this week)

Get Strong:
Insanity Cardio Core & Balance Recovery week.  Group workouts T/Th might be the harder workouts.

Get organized:
15 minutes daily of focused decluttering of current "zone"
Follow Kelly's Daily Missions
Detailed Cleaning Lists for Zones

Summary of last week:
I did nothing to get organized last week.  Moving on!

Completed my first week of marathon training with 54 weekly miles.  I didn't get in my 17 mile long run as I slept 12 hours Friday night and woke up late in addition to just feeling crummy.  Managed a slow 6 miles Saturday.  Sunday was all day soccer and the Superbowl.  Another 6 miles.  I should have had 64 miles.

I finished the first month of Insanity with a whimper.  My last two workouts were about 80% effort as my body just felt like it needed to sleep and sleep.  I hope this week has me feeling stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment