Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 21, 2013

I'm running again!

So maybe it's not on land and perhaps I don't need shoes to do it but at least my body is going through the running motions.  In water.  Have you aqua-jogged?  Was it during an injury or part of cross training or were you looking for a way to test your boredom coping capabilities? 

Not-me aquajogging
I have been strapping on the aquabelt about 4 times so far.  I have worked my way up to near an hour and a half of aqua running and have also started freestyle swimming without kicking.  I initially added that because I needed to break up the monotony of running in water.  The equivalent expression, "A watched pot never boils," with aquajogging is, "A watched string of flags never gets closer." 

The most exciting sessions I have are when the water aerobics class gets their groove on so I have been trying to plan my running around that schedule.  I taught water aerobics at the Y and loved it and loved the mostly-seniors who participated. What an entertaining group of people! 

I had my follow up doctor's appointment last week and discovered that I really do have a fractured metatarsal even though the written report by the radiologist stated I didn't. It was very odd. The xray clearly shows the break.  The doctor will see me again in 3 weeks to see how it's progressing. I still cannot do any impact exercises and will continue pursuing my water exercises. I am going to add in weight machines this week since I can do those without using impact on my foot.

Here is an interesting article on aqua jogging.  The latest research on the effectiveness of aqua jogging and 3 scientifically supported tips to help you get the most out of your deep water running

A friend mentioned an alter-g treadmill as another option during my rehab.  I will look into it, however, I don't know if it will be acceptable as there may be some impact.  Have you used one of these rare machines?  http://www.alterg.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment