Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 7, 2013

Yukon Do It! Marathon December 31, 2012


This is the third year running of the Yukon Do It! Marathon. I had the idea for this in 2010 and Tony Seabolt implemented my idea and I handed over the race to him the following year.  Here's the first year's report in 3 parts:  Pre-race  Race Day - part one  Race Day - part two.

I couldn't stay home and sulk while my friends were out there running. This would have been the third race in Quadzilla.  Other than my injury, my body was in good shape.  I wanted to get out there and cheer on my friends and take part in some small way. It still feels like my baby and I'll always want to participate or help in some way.

My daughter, Crystal, agreed to drive me to Manchester where the half and full marathoners would be running. She brought her computer and set out to get some editing done while I rang bells, took pictures, and way-to-go'd as many runners as I could. Bill Barmore, an ever-present helper or runner at races, let me hang out at his aid station.  Steve Walters was also there taking pictures. He coordinated the Quadzilla and when I told him he could let someone else buy my sweatshirt, he told me he already did. Gah.  Of course!
Pedro, 1st Female Marathon winner, Pedro

Lori Moriarity, 2nd female, 1st masters.  
Amanda Hoskins led in 2nd place for most of the race
Hi Beverly!
Erik and Sharon Butler


 Crystal and I drove to the finish and I found some friends to congratulate and saw Lori and Amanda finish with seconds apart.

The weather was overcast and cold, but not biting cold like it was last year.

I packed myself back to the car with Nancy tagging along so we could give her a ride home.  Nancy is an inspiration that everyone should hear about and perhaps someday she will share her journey with us here.

Nancy!
My next race report will hopefully be in March. Oh, how I wish it was sooner.  In the meantime, I will still be blogging and finding joy on my journey.

Sharon and post-race



3 comments:

  1. This was the first year I've run Yukon- what a FANTASTIC race! I PR'd on my half marathon time by almost 9 minutes!!! Beautiful scenery, everyone was really friendly. It's going to be on my calendar every year now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I enjoyed this race and hope to be back end of this year!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to say that I've participated in Yukon Do It all three years. It's now a New Years Eve tradition. Thanks Ginger.

    ReplyDelete