Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Parental Wisdom and Other Nonsense

I recall hearing, "Well she doesn't butter both sides of the broomstick!" when I was younger from a parent and I inherently knew what it meant, ridiculous as it sounded.  I knew I had the parenting gene. I tried to use this saying with my family when my daughters were young, but it didn't feel right so I dropped the forced saying.

This post is dedicated to all the worn-out, frazzled, discombobulated parents who, when forced against a wall, will squeeze out some ridiculous or borrowed saying from generations of parents.  And when we say, "Because I told you so!", we mean it!



  • Close the door!  Were you raised in a barn?
  • I suppose if _______ were to jump off the Empire State Building (or insert any really high point), you would too.
  • I am not made of money!
  • I am not a money tree!
  • For the millionth time...
  • Don't make me pull this car over!
  • Knock it off!
  • Get back here!  I'm talking to you!
  • Stop yelling! (this is almost always yelled)
  • Stop your crying or I'm gonna give you something to cry about.
  • Keep it up, missy (or mister)!
  • I don't like this any more than you do.
  • I hope you have children just like you. Payback!
  • Listen up.  All men are pigs!
  • Don't eat THAT!
  • Your face is going to freeze that way!
  • Just try me.  See what happens.
  • Someday you'll understand.
  • Go outside and play!  
  • If you're bored, I have plenty for you to do.
  • When I was a kid, we spent all day outside and never got bored.
  • Get off the computer!
  • If I have to tell you one more time!
What do you remember your parents saying when you were young?  Do you find yourself saying the same things to your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment