Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 21, 2011

5th day!

For those considering juicing, take note:  This could get expensive!  It takes a lot of fruit and vegetables to make juice.  Seriously.  It's great and healthy but not for the pocketbook unless you have your own garden (which can be expensive to set up and maintain, too...and time-consuming).  I can't imagine the entire family juicing with me.  

I didn't sleep enough last night and has kept me from being more active.  A chocolate Shakeology and Pink Lady before my run today should give me enough energy.  I also did a 10 minute ab workout which really doesn't require a lot of "energy".  

Observations:  Each day I wake thinking this will be the day I cave.  But instead, I find that I am not suffering in any way, am not "starving" and feel great.  That doesn't mean this is a permanent way of eating for me, but I know I can still maintain a good level of activity as long as I time nutrition with my workouts and listen to what my body is saying.  I'm getting nervous about Thanksgiving, only because I don't want to go back to my old habits.  I'm hoping to remember this feeling of energy and lightness when that chocolate candy starts its siren call.  I also notice I have to focus on drinking more water.  I also need to make more vegetable juices and ease up on the fruit.  Gah.  


Today's 8 mile run was easy and I did notice I felt hungry a couple miles in, something I had noticed on my run 2 days ago.  The hunger dissipated after a couple of miles.  I have had 2 Shakeology-s today along with 3/4th of a banana.  These are the juice and soup recipes on tap for today. 


I have 3 avocados remaining so I will probably make the same soup as I made last night but may tweak it...but I don't want to- it was so yummy!  I am sure I'm getting enough energy from my drinks as I'm thinking clearly and am not lacking energy.  Protein has been a concern and adding Shakeology has helped.


A side note:  my daughter is making home-made garlic fries as I type.  Sigh.  I am slightly craving potatoes, bread and BUTTER, maybe a toasted cheese sandwich.  Why Why Why?  


Soup Recipes: This site has been helpful in giving me more vegetable combinations.

Pink Lady
1 grapefruit
1 orange
1 apple
1 pear
1/2-1 cup cranberries

Refreshing breakfast juice and the apple/pear/orange cut the bitterness down enough for me to drink.  As much as I should love grapefruit, I am not able to eat them as they are so bitter and sour for my taste. 



Citris Kick!
2 oranges
1/4 lemon
1 apple
1 inch gingerroot

Wow, this turned out spicy!  A little less ginger next time.  Otherwise good and citrusy.



My Own Gazpacho- take 2
6 carrots
4 celery ribs
1 beefsteak tomato
2 cups spinach
1 red pepper
1 garlic clove
1/2 onion
1/2 lemon


In blender:
1 avocado
Handful of wheatgrass
Basil - to your taste

Juice first 8 ingredients and add to 1 avocado and a handful of wheatgrass and basil in blender.  Season to taste.  

This was so tasty and filling.  Definitely appreciated the avocado's ability to satisfy my hunger.  The lemon added a nice kick.  Drawback was the ugly mustard color.

No comments:

Post a Comment