Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Trot 10k Holmes Chiropractic

We started on the right at the marina, ran around and to the left and up almost to the end before returning to the start.  Georgeous Gig Harbor!




What a great way to start Thanksgiving!  Holmes Chiropractic of Gig Harbor coordinated this community run that benefits Gig Harbor F.I.S.H. and Peninsula Communities of Faith Food Banks.  This year's run had over 1700 particpants!


The skies were dry and temperature hovered around 42 degrees.  I opted to wear a knit hat, Craft top, shorts, gloves and leg warmers.  I opted to eat 2 small bananas an hour before the start.  Parking and race morning packet pick up was easy and I waited in my warm vehicle until 15 minutes before the race before heading to the start line.

Skansie Park in the Summer
The festive crowd lined up in front of Skansie Park located along the beautiful Gig Harbor waterfront.  The 10k started and was followed 2 1/2 minutes later by the 5k runners.  


Mile 1:  Nice mostly flat mile and a great way to get the legs warmed up.   
7:04 pace and I was slightly disappointed I wasn't under 7 minutes.


Mile 2:  A few runners flew by me in this mile, including one woman wearing a sports bra and boy shorts.  Brr!  She came in 2nd overall in the 5k at a 5:38 average!   Makes me wonder how the elite marathoners can run that pace and faster.  In awe.  We pass the 5k turnaround and begin the hilly part of the course.  We gain 120 feet of elevation from mile 1.65 to 2.10.  It doesn't sound like much until you're running it.  
7:40 pace


Mile 3: is rolling and just when I enjoy a nice downhill, I'm faced with another uphill.  
7:30


Mile 4:  After the turnaround and another uphill, the course finally gives way to downhill and flat.  It was fun to see so many runners tackling the 10k on Thanksgiving.
7:24.


Mile 5:  I was the 6th female up to that point.  On this flat mile leading back to downtown, I passed two girls who were slowing after the hills.  The first girl talked with me for a bit and she told me she was running just for fun and didn't think she'd be so far in the front.  I congratulated her on running so fast on a "fun" run.  
7:04


Mile 6:  Into the last mile and the hills are long gone.  Lots of 5k walkers to weave through but everyone is nice about it and I finally realize the road (of course) is closed to traffic and I run in the oncoming traffic lane.  I hear myself breathing heavily and am a little self-conscious as I pass people out for a morning stroll.  The finish line is just ahead and I see the clock at 44 minutes 30 seconds.  I come in at 44:45 and 44:38 on my Garmin.


No awards are given out as far as I can see so I get some water and head home after talking with some friends.  Not to be a party pooper or anything, but it IS Thanksgiving and I'm anxious to get home to my family.

Holmes Chiropractic Web Site

Turkey Trot Results


bib number:1612
age:41
gender:F
location:Port Orchard, WA
overall place:44 out of 356
division place:1
gender place:4
time:44:35
pace:7:11



No comments:

Post a Comment