Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Day 4 - Juicing

I feel like I've cheated.  For dinner, I cooked a sweet potato and mixed it with juice in a blender.  I know, it isn't that big of a deal.  I will admit that this cannot be a "juice" fast when I do stuff like that.  So it's a modified juice fast.  I also have eaten whole fruit so there ya go.  Running leaves me wanting more sustenance.


Today started off with a chocolate Shakeology and 1 1/2 bananas again.  I got in my 13 miles, the longest run before Seattle next weekend.  My cell phone was secured in my belt and off I went.  The day was sunny but cold.  Scarf, gloves, hat, sunglasses, underarmor, shorts and knee high socks to keep me warm but not hot.


At mile three, I took a 1-2 minute walk break as I was suddenly feeling a wave of tireness wash over me.  My plan was to get in the 13 but I prepared myself if I lacked energy.  Not to worry, this has happened when I eat a lot of food.  After the walking, I picked it up again and decided to walk a minute as needed but I felt like I could get the miles done.  I thought of friends who have completed ultramarathons of 100 or more miles (ok, a marathon is a pretty big deal, too) and found a way to get through it.  Just get in the miles.


Each mile I felt surprisingly better and never needed to take a walk break.  I think I ate my banana too soon before running and maybe it didn't have time to do its work.


Today's recipes:


Liquid Sunshine
2 oranges
1 lemon
1 inch gingerroot
1 apple
1 pear
2 cups chopped pineaple

Yum Yum Yum.  The original recipe called for the first 3 ingredients.  It was too sour for my taste so that's why I added sweeter fruit.  This made 32 oz.

Mean Green Juice
2-4 cups spinach
1 cucumber
2 apples
1/2 lemon
1 inch gingerroot
4 stalks celery

Forgot to add the apples and wondered how I would ever force it down.  Looked at the recipe again, sighed with relief and added the apples and it was much better.  Phew!

Sweet Potato Soup
4 celery ribs
6 carrots
1 red pepper
1 clove garlic
2 tomatoes
1 sweet potato, baked or microwaved
Fresh basil leaves
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Juice the first five ingredients.  Add juice to the basil and sweet potato in blender.  Mix and heat. 


This was delightfully wonderful!  I like sweet potato soup so that helps.  If you don't like sweet potatoes, you would hate it.  Just sayin'.  My husband would gag with every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment