Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Juice Fast- Day 2


Day one of the juice fast is complete!  My day began with coffee, a habit that is hard to break.  I'm not willing to part with my morning coffee but I am willing to reduce my consumption. I had two cups instead of three.  It's a start.  

The first recipe I tried was the ABC juice.  Here's the recipe.  

Apple-Beet-Carrot Juice

1 Apple
2 Beets
3 Large Carrots
1 Piece Ginger (thumb sized)
4 cups Kale

I'm willing to give this one another shot but I need to change up the ingredients.  I will try it with one beet and 2 apples next time.  And spinach instead of kale (because I just bought a lot of Spinach from Costco).

Before I ran yesterday, I drank a  Shakeology  and got in my 8 miles and felt fine.  I didn't feel weak and assume my previous day's calories are still floating around my body, waiting to be used.  

After my run, I made this juice:

3 large Carrots
2 oranges
2 cups cranberries

Here is the pulp from this juice:

This was so bitter! I left the peel on the oranges (my daughter begged me to remove them next time) because I read that they will add more nutrients to the juice.  I couldn't make myself drink this so I added it to the blender with ice and a banana and it was a smidgen less bitter.  2 tablespoons of agave nectar made it drinkable but my tongue felt like I had been licking batteries for the rest of the day.

My daughter had soccer practice starting at 7:00 pm so I made dinner for the family before we left and plotted my own dinner for when we got home.  During her practice, I shopped at Costco and picked up a cart full of vegetables and fruits, as well as food my family could make on their own if I feel especially grumpy about making food I won't be eating.  

I enjoy hot food for dinner in the cold days of winter.  This may be "cheating", I'm not sure.  I don't care, I just can't fathom drinking another cold juice for dinner.  I juiced the following ingredients and then lightly heated it so I could have warm soup.  Adding garlic salt is probably another no-no.  I won't concern myself with it.  It was tasty~

Vegetable soup:

4 roma tomatoes
4 celery ribs
1/2 onion
1 red pepper
fresh basil
3 carrots
Bunch of spinach
1 t. garlic salt

I ate an apple after the soup as my belly was grumbling and I was concerned I had too few calories for the day.  Overall I felt good and never did I feel like I was starving.  But this is just day one.  

Other observations:  Making juice can be messy.  And drinking beet juice produces pink pee.  

Day 2 starts today.  I'll begin with Shakeology and get in my run early.  I'm anxious to try new recipes.   My family thought it would have been funny if I had a doctor's appointment and had to pee in a cup.  Ha-ha!  



No comments:

Post a Comment